• Question: What is a sphygmomanometer gauge?

    Asked by connie5 to Akram, David, Gill, Jack, laurenceharwood on 16 Mar 2012.
    • Photo: Laurence Harwood

      Laurence Harwood answered on 16 Mar 2012:

      A “Sphyg” as doctors often call it is used to measure your blood pressure. It is a cuff that goes round your arm and is inflated until it stops the blood flowing. Then the pressure is let down until first the systolic beat is strong enough to let the blood through (the doctor listens with a stethoscope) and then the diastolic beat. That gives your blood pressure as two figures – 80/100 is typical of a healthy pressure I think. The systolic is the large one. The “lub-dup” noice your heart makes are teh two parts to the beat. the first is the diastolic – sending blood from your heart to the lung and the second the systolic – sending the blood round your body.

    • Photo: Akram Alomainy

      Akram Alomainy answered on 16 Mar 2012:

      Seriously I learnt a lot since I started ‘I’m a scientist’ thanks a million Laurence 🙂

    • Photo: Jack Snape

      Jack Snape answered on 16 Mar 2012:

      Good word! 🙂

    • Photo: Gill Menzies

      Gill Menzies answered on 19 Mar 2012:

      Good work Laurence – never too old to learn (me, not you that is) 🙂